Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Zoo

n.  a place where wild animals are kept so that people can look at them or study them

Ever wonder what animals at the zoo think of us?  Do they even care we are there or are we amusement for them?  I did have a chimpanzees use behavioral signs asking me for my tangerine a few months ago, but other than that, I can't recall a specific time where I knew the animals knew they were on display.

Sometimes living on base is like living at a zoo.  When civilians are on base for an air show, wedding, or ceremony, you can tell they are civilians.  How?  Because they slow down and gawk at us military folk doing normal things, like riding bikes, walking our dogs, or watering our yards.  You can almost read their minds....Look!  They do all the stuff we do!  And only have one head like us!  And ride bikes, too! Wow!

Or even when other military families are new to a base...there is the mandatory drive around to get the lay of the land.  Or if they are awaiting housing...there is the mandatory daily drive by looking for the signs of moving trucks.  I just had a car come completely to a dead stop outside my house and stay there for 3 minutes.  I could see the female in the passenger seat gesturing, pointing, and getting pretty animated about the house.  The driver, presumably her husband, would occasionally point, and when it was time to go, he took his sweet time, creeping along to get the whole picture engraved in both their heads.

I wanted to run out and ask if they needed anything or if they would available to help me clean since it would get me out of MY house faster.  Nothing like feeling a boot on your butt.

We can tell we are being watched.  Makes me think differently about that poor spider monkey trying to use the bathroom with my whole family staring, laughing, and pointing.  No wonder they throw poo.

1 comment: