Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Down with the Sickness

My one source of personal income is substitute teaching.  And every winter I sub the most due to teachers getting sick from the kids.  Which means I, in turn, get sick as well.  It is a job hazard I can't avoid.

As long as I am not completely miserable, I don't mind getting sick...it is the only way I get to slow down around this place.

In January I was waylaid for a week.  Two weeks ago I dealt with a cold and kept right on trucking. Yesterday I felt like crap and parked my low grade fevered hiney on the couch and watched Emma and Gone With the Wind.  This sickness, however, has crappy timing.  Justin has a very busy week, I am supposed to have a busy week, we are in the midst of buying a house, my eldest is homesick at Space Camp, and my youngest is a mess without his big brother.

While watching Justin run in and out of the house taking care of all the 'mom' things, I gave him the compliment, "You are glue that keeps this operation working," thinking it would make him quit huffing and puffing over the inconvenience of my illness.  Deep down I know that I am the glue that keeps this operation working, but foolishly thought he would appreciate the ego boost.

Instead of the "thanks, baby, I hope you feel better" response I was looking for, I was given, "Seriously...what would happen to this place if I got sick?"

Seriously?  Seriously???

You mean like when you had shoulder surgery last year and were physically worthless for two months?  Or how about all the times you are TDY and I do all of this without another adult attempting to boost my ego?  Or when you were deployed?  Ass.

Yes, gentle reader, I said all that.  And because he loves me, he ignored all that and folded three loads of laundry and began two more.  He also called when leaving baseball practice to see if there was anything I needed from the store.

Oh yeah, sometimes I am indeed down with the sickness.

3 comments:

  1. When Grace was a baby and I was working a few hours part time, Matt made a big goof. It was Christmas and he was taking leave so I was picking up some extra hours. I had to work so asked him to do a load of laundry and find something for dinner and his response, "But I'm on vacation!" And when do I get to be on vacation?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever Will starts thinking he's the "glue" of this place I just remind him that it was ME who had a two week old baby in a new city while HE was busy having the heart attack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you. Gotta love having strep with 103 fever and G saying "if I hold you up can you throw a load of laundry in? My flight suits need to be washed".

    ReplyDelete